Connecting with Community

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Who is listening when you speak?

I am sitting in my office when my phone alarm goes off, it is reminding me of a lunch appointment. I type one last email and start searching for my keys. I empty my book bag and move my stacks of files from my desk. Then it hits me "what if I locked them in my car." "No it can't be". I run out to my car and peek in my passenger window, I want to see if my keys are dangling from my ignition.
"Yes yes they are", I run back inside to text my appointment. I inform her that I will not be able to meet her. I explain my dilemma. She asks if she can come get me, I agree. As soon as I type in yes and hit send,  I remember where my purse is. I text her back and tell my friend that she will have to buy my lunch.  She agrees.
No panicking needed my next appointment is coming to my office. I go through the day thinking that I will soon have to go through the yellow pages and find someone to retrieve my keys.
I decide I will not worry about it till the end of the day. I call my daughter to let her know about my mishap.
With  in minutes my phone begins to ring. I answer and while I am speaking I notice another caller is trying to get through. These are phone calls  from people I haven't spoken to in years. Friends asking if they can help.
I am reminded that I have spoken kindness and hope in peoples life's along the way.
Then I shutter as I think of all of those I have not spoken hope and kindness to. To those I have given grief instead of kindness and to those I have shown judgement instead of hope. I think of all the people I have offended.
I  try and focus on something else. As I sit in my office waiting to be rescued, I hop on Facebook. I am looking for what my daughter has posted. I want to see how these friends know that I am stranded. This is the first thing I see when I log in, another reminder of the language we should speak.

This is why I am an educator. One of our sweet kids gave me a Chicken Soup for the Soul book today. This was not a student I knew...and she only knew me from listening to announcements. I am often asked how many languages are spoken at our school because we are a diverse campus. Today I say we speak one language...the language of hope.

I am consumed with heart felt emotion as my friend Dr. West shares her heart. This has reminded me "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," because you never know who may be listening.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love your writings sweet Elia! More, more! Encore!

    ~ Glenda

    ReplyDelete