Connecting with Community

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chuck Norris

My day starts with a visit to our neighborhood food pantry. I am received with a warm hello
and a set of hands, ready to help me unload. I have many bags of birthday cans in the trunk of
my car.
Missy speaks of the families she helped last week. She was happy to report that there
was enough food for all. She sends a thank you from herself and the families that were feed. 

My next appointment is at 10:00, that gives me a few minutes to stop by my office.
I strutt into the building with out incident. As I walk down the hall, I can hear my
phone ring. I begin to run. Can I reach the phone before it stops ringing? I will
certainly give it a try.
I must of  looked much like my clumsy boxer, ears flapping and feet stumbling in mid air.
 
I fall into my office and dive for the phone. Hello "this is Elia, How can I help you?"
I think it was a move Chuck Norris would of made. Hmm Chuck Norris or maybe Chick Norris
I think I like that. 
 
It was a family in need.
Maria is seeking a place to live and somewhere to work. This mother has three boys ages 13, 12 and 10. She called because she heard that we may be able to help someone like her. I assured her we would do our best.

I leave my office to navigate another Neighbor in need. I walk into the agency where I am scheduled
to meet this Neighbor. Once inside I notice a woman sitting on a couch. Before I can ask
if she is the person I am looking for. She calls my name. I answer yes and extend my 
hand to shake hers. She wraps her arms around me and begins to cry.
I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that!
I cut the hug short because I notice people staring. Not that this has ever bothered me before, but
I am really trying to make an effort to respect my professional surroundings.
After all Chuck Norris wouldn't stand in the middle of a waiting room and cry. 
 
It forget my professional surroundings and I reach out to and wrap my arms around her.
Here we stand, two grown women in the middle of the waiting room,
crying like a couple of toddlers. She digs her head in my chest and I gently pat her head.
The same as I would hold my own children.
 
I feel Hope, Hope divine. 
I tell her all will be well. She responds with a thank you. I look at her and I can not seem to compose
myself. I tell her she is on the right track. I tell her we will get through this.
I understand what this means to her and her children, I can see it in her eyes.
She has never been homeless before, she doesn't know what to do, where to go or how to get help.
 
I assure her that her 13 year old will soon have a bed of his own and a place he can call home.
This will allow him an easier road towards his education. He will no longer have to worry about
what he will eat and where he will sleep. He can now concentrate on English, math and science.
No, life will not be perfect but it will be better. 
 
Have I told you lately that I love you for all you do for people you don't even know and probably
will never meet.
 
Generosity is giving more than you can...
Khalil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment