Connecting with Community

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Do all the good you can

I was feeling wimpy, alas an opportunity to rest.
Again this morning I am feeling puny but I couldn't get my self to stay in bed.

On my journey to work, I was less than motivated. Some where along the way I
maneuver my way to a local convenience store. Not even a twinge of guilt about my choice
of breakfast items. 

Finally at my destination, I situate my self in my office chair and I power up my computer.
Two screens sit directly in front of me. My cell phone in hand and the texting commences.
My office phone rings, I answer and begin to assist this person in need.
While on the phone I begin to glare at the long list of unread emails.
My day is now in full swing.

I call to chat with Jane, our former homeless mother of 8.
Jane begins to tell me of the Life Changer that brought her food.
Alive and full of hope she is in a place of her own. She speaks of going back to school,
this ignites joy within me. Content that we have made headway in this family's life.

I contact Mina, our full time student mother of 4. Her sister answers the phone and I ask to leave a
message. It is not long before she confesses, she tells of her sister being picked up by the police.
Unpaid traffic tickets will keep her in a jail cell for 19 days . She goes on to say that their heater no longer
works. The land lord resolves this by bringing them two small space heaters, instead of making repairs.
Her electricity has been suspended. This means the little food they had left has gone to waste. 
This also means darkness for those precious babies.
I am speechless and my emotions have taken over.

Preoccupied with thoughts of Mina and her children.
How will they succeed in school? How can they
focus on learning? No food.
No mother to go home to. No warmth in the home. Not even a flicker of light.
 
Emails are out and a team is forming. We will make sure this crises does not deter these children's education.
There will be no excuses.
There are too many determined Life Changers that are always busy and never stop.
 

 
 


 "Do all the good you can, By all the means you can,
 In all the ways you can, In all the places you can, At all the times you can,
To all the people you can, As long as you ever can."
-John Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment